Sometimes is is necessary to restore specific databases from your blackberry ipd backup files. Reasons could be invalid module installation, incomaptible applciation version or an OS re-installation.
The Device Switch Wizard works flawlessly but at times when installing an unsuported, undocumented and unoffical application, certain databses could just vanish or disappear. For example installing the new unreleased Blackberry Messenger 5.0.
You may be smart enough to perform backups of your device on a daily or weekly basis but to your horror, you may realise, Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn’t let you restore from old ipd backup files disabling the transfer. The warning reported would say :
“Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them.”
To perform a restore of specific greyed-out items perform the following steps.
- Open the ipd Bakcup file in Desktop Manager.
- In your device go to Options > Advanaced options > Service Book. Delete Desktop[SYNC]
- Refresh the database list in Desktop Manager.
- Select the specific database. In my case it was Blackberry Messenger
- Hit the Transfer button and confirm replacing it on the device.
- In your device go to Options > Advanaced options > Service Book, click the Menu to Undelete.
- Reboot the device.
All your contacts will be restored. Similar restore task can be done for Messages, SMS, Contacts, etc.
A more detailed version is available at CoreyGilmore.com